This is the commonly used phrase for the offence of “Drive while using hand-held device”: a “Cell phone” ticket.
This charge includes touching, holding, or manipulation of any handheld entertainment device (cell phones, tablets, computers, etc.) for any reason other than contacting emergency services: this includes if your vehicle is stopped at a Red Light or a Stop Sign.
- First Offence
– A fine between $500 and $1000 plus court costs and victim surcharge as well as a 3-day suspension of your licence
- Second Offence
– A fine between $500 and $2000 plus court costs and victim surcharge as well as a 7-day suspension of your licence
- Third and Subsequent Offence
– A fine between $500 and $3000 plus court costs and victim surcharge as well as a 30-day suspension of your license
Each suspension of your license has an additional reinstatement fee from the Ministry of Transportation that has an increasing surcharge with each subsequent reinstatement.
– Include escalating sanctions from the Ministry of Transportation – click here for more information
Why you should fight a “Distracted Driving” ticket?
These charges are politically charged and socially divisive, as such there is a hard fight against them from the courts. Most of these tickets will go to trial where the case will need to be argued on legal details involving a close examination of the elements of the offence, cross-examination of the officer’s evidence, and more. These are complex tickets that you have a better chance of success defending with legal representation.
Here’s a quote from a client:
“Thank you for your extra effort that you put forward with my trial matter. It was a particularly stressful time for me and your sensitivity & expertise on how to resolve the charge was very much appreciated.” — Jacquie R.
What’s the cost to fight minor offences and Ontario traffic tickets?
Invaluable. It’s more expensive to fight the ticket alone. You deserve to have someone on your side.
Get your free no obligation quote now!
We would be glad to help you fight your careless driving ticket. Please contact our office nearest you.