What you need to know and how to fight your failure to wear a seatbelt ticket.
Demerit points are given for seatbelt offences whether you’re driving without a seatbelt or with an inoperative one, or you’re a passenger who was not wearing one, or improperly wearing your seatbelt. Most offences carry two demerit points, except the following:
- If you are driving with your seatbelt completely removed
- If the driver’s seatbelt has been rendered inoperative
- As a passenger if you are not wearing or improperly wearing your seatbelt
Seatbelt infractions include:
- Driver not ensuring that passengers under the age of 16 wears a seatbelt
- Not occupying a position with a seatbelt
- Not ensuring that a child passenger or toddler is properly secured
Why you should fight Ontario seatbelt tickets?
There are only a few exemptions to wearing a seatbelt:
- Driving a motor vehicle in reverse
- Medical reasons (you must carry a dated certificate from a medical practitioner)
- While engaged in work that requires you to exit from your vehicle at frequent intervals as long as the vehicle does not travel above 40km/hour
The set fine for any seatbelt offence is $200.00 plus surcharge. Any conviction for a seatbelt infraction will remain on your driving record for a period of two years and will be visible to your insurance company for three years.
These convictions appearing on your driving record can cause concern to your insurance company and that all too often translates into increased insurance premiums over several years.
Why do I need HELP’s traffic ticket experts?
HELP has locations across the province of Ontario with a team of licenced and experienced paralegals to serve you. All have met the high standards as set out by the Law Society of Ontario, the governing body of both paralegals and lawyers in Ontario.
Our licenced paralegals have the integrity, knowledge, skill, experience and the desire to get you the best outcome in fighting your traffic ticket. We do everything from filing the ticket and reviewing documents to assessing the evidence of potential witnesses, both prosecution and defense, and arguing relevant case law.
FREE QUOTE(It takes less than 1 minute)
While we have a high success rate, we don’t always have your charge(s) dismissed. However, in those cases we can usually negotiate a beneficial resolution to a minor offence. This can result in less serious consequences related to insurance, demerit points and penalties.
Here’s a quote from a client:
“Couldn’t have done it without you and your team! It was so nice just to leave it in your capable hands and not worry about it. Again, my thanks and appreciation.”
— Joanne M.
What’s the cost to fight a seatbelt offence in Ontario?
Priceless! Our team will save you a lot of time, money and stress. The initial consult is always free – no obligation!
Get your free no obligation quote now!
We would be glad to help you fight your seatbelt ticket. Please contact our office nearest you.